Monday 12 March 2012

FINALLY! A solution to roof valleys!

Every year I do estimates for Eavestrough and gutter protection. At every home I go to that has a roof valley (see picture below for a picture of a roof valley), I point out the likely and inherent problems that this area will cause.

The majority of home owners do not realise how much water is concentrated in this roof valley by the end of its run when it gets to the eavestrough! It can be enormous! Now think of all that water hitting about a 4"-6" area of your eavestrough!

Another inherent problem with valleys, is that they are debris collectors. Wind movement comes across the roof from different angles and literally traps the debris in the V area of the valley. Like in the picture below.


Now place gutter protection in the eavestrough and you compound the problem. Most people that sell gutter protection promise the stars and how theirs is the best and you will have 0 maintenance, etc...
EVERY gutter protection restricts the opening of the mouth of the eavestrough. So when you place gutter protection in the valley, now you are giving less room for the water to go through and over it will come! That's why I am a fan of a roof valley splash guard and install them on every house I do eavestrough on. However, splash guards have their own problems.

If you look at the picture above, you will notice that the benefit of the splash guard is that any water that wants to over shoot the eavestrough will hit the back of the splash guard and drop into the gutter. HOWEVER.....one BIG problem is that now the debris gets trapped behind the splash guard. So it solves a problem and creates one at the same time! It looked like there was no good solution. Until.....

Last year I was introduced by a friend to the Barnett's Valley Controller. He is in the gutter business in the USA and said he had been using them for several years and they work like a charm! I bought some and did a few installs, one for a neighbour just a few doors away from me. I have been monitoring it for a year and it is unbelievable how flawlessly they work! Here is a picture of the Valley Controller:


Here are the details about Barnett’s Valley Controller:
  • It incorporates a patented cheese-grater style top and louvred sidewall design. Water flows through the open slots into the gutter, and debris washes over the top of the surface and falls to the ground.
  • It’s made of Kostrate®, the same material as plastic water bottles.
  • The plastic is pliable, will stand up to sub-zero temperatures, and has a memory so that it can take and hold a shape.
  • It will fit on any asphalt shingle roof with or without a metal valley, and secures under the second course of shingles.
  • It’s guaranteed for 12-years, and can be painted with any acrylic paint to match your roof and gutters.
Here is a picture of what it looks like installed!

My neighbour who is surrounded by trees has these on her house loves them! The debris works its way over the edge, the water goes through and into the eavestrough where it's supposed to! Problem solved! This does not guarantee that you wont have to clean the valley out at somepoint, but it will prevent all the water from coming over the edge.

To conclude this article, here is a youtube video from Barnett's Valley Controllers.


For all your eavestrough needs contact The Eavestrough Company at www.theeavestroughcompany.com or phone us at 905-966-2564.

21 comments:

  1. I put one of these on today. We'll see how the rain does (I used it because after installing gutter guards from Costco we had too much rain overflowing the gutter in this valley). So I don't know how much they are going to help yet. But I do want to talk about the installation.
    It went in pretty much as described, which is saying a lot! I'm a 60 year old woman I don't want to fuss too much with this type of stuff.
    I wanted the corner part to sit as high up on the gutter as possible to corral the water so I wish I had cut off the side pieces a little longer than they said to keep things from washing in along the sides. After I cut and set it in, I wedged a piece of the gutter guard mesh along the sides. Not sure if it will stay in heavy rain, but going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes sense. Was looking for something to solve this problem. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if this will work with metal roofing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. Metal roofs certainly last longer but also present their own unique problems. I also don't know how you would mount the Barnett's Valley Controller under the steel roof.

      Delete
  4. I have a metal roof with no gutter. I wonder if this controller could butt up to drip edge under edge of metal roofing and coax water to drop vertically rather than arcing outward in heavy rain. From pics I can't tell how this thing works. Do any stores carry it so that I can have one in hand to see if it might work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For installation, visit their website: http://barnettsvalleycontroller.com

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You can order them through their website: http://barnettsvalleycontroller.com

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. You can order them from their website: http://barnettsvalleycontroller.com

      Delete
  7. Doesn't work on long valley runs with a lot of water.
    My roof is architectural asphalt shingles. Unfortunately, I have a 30 foot long valley run and this only works with light rain. It fails to catch all the water in a steady or heavy downpour. The water runs right over the cheese grater openings and jets almost straight off the roof like a hose nozzle running on full blast. I have installed 2 of these correctly and on my smaller 10ft run valley, it appears to catch all the water. I'm still looking for a better way to solve this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be so. I haven't used these often but they have worked every time. I have never used them on a house with a valley 30 feet long.

      Delete
  8. It sounds very good, but could you clarify how it fits into the rest of the gutter system. Thanks
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John. Watch the videos on their website: http://barnettsvalleycontroller.com

      Delete
  9. hOW DOES APERSON ORDER ONE OF THESE?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can order them from their web site: http://barnettsvalleycontroller.com

      Delete
  10. How do u install if u have a shingle roof but a metal valley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch the videos on their website: http://barnettsvalleycontroller.com

      Delete
  11. wHere cAn i gEt oNe oF tHese? i dOn't sEe tHem aT tHe sTore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where to purchase? I dont see them at the store. I need 4 of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walter. Thanks for your message and sorry for the delay in getting this posted. My site gets spammed messages with people trying to advertise their things on my site so I moderate all comments. I was on vacation when you posted. You won't find Barnetts Valley Controllers in stores. They are only available through Amazon at https://www.amazon.ca/Barnetts-Roof-Valley-Controller-Metal/dp/B07C43C313 or through Lynch Aluminum at https://www.lynchaluminum.com/product/valley-controller/

      Delete

I welcome your comments or opinions on my blog writings. Please comment. :)