Tuesday 26 March 2013

Competitors: Keep it Positive!

"What kills a company is not competition, but arrogance. We control our fate."
~ Eric Schmidt, founder and CEO of Google

I love competition. I always have. I used to be a fierce competitor in my younger days and could run the mile in 4:40.That was back in the 70's. My mile days are over! In 1990, I started a charity and it grew from no income to over $13 million per year when I left it to start my own business. In 2007, I started my own Eavestrough business and it has flourished.

At 52, I have learned a thing or two in life and have been around the block a few times. In my  younger and somewhat immature years, I loved competition but feared the competition. I would not have said it like that then. However, there was something that I fell pray to and I have seen others fall pray to constantly that proved it! I saw it in my Track and Field "career", my charity work, and in the Eavestrough Business. It's called by a number of names, slander, gossip, negative talk, "one-upmanship", defamation, etc...

In the charity I ran, we grew out of nowhere to become the largest charity of our kind doing what we did. It was a good feeling to be on top! However, we sometimes did it by putting down others similar to us or by slandering their good name. It mattered little to me at the time until one day, one of our competitors came out of no where with information that was so wrong and defamatory, it was unbelievable! My initial reaction was that surely no one would believe such ridiculous information. But.....THEY DID! It took hours and days to put out a fire that should never have been started! However, the real corker was that, in the end, it came back to bite the organization who started it. The dispute got published in magazines and they ended up looking like petty immature whiners.

The above situation was one of those life changing situations for me. I vowed never again to do to others what that organization and person did to me!

I have seen this situation in the Eavestrough business too! Company owners attempt to make themselves look better than "the other guy" to land that job or grow their business! They concoct stories and relay it to customers or post things on the Internet. With the advent of the world wide web some 20 years ago, this has become even worse. You can write anything about anybody on the Internet and many will believe it! I like to tell people, "The internet is like a bathroom wall, you can write anything you want on it!"

However, I have learned over the years that speaking positively about others is viewed as a far more powerful statement than speaking negatively or defaming them. Ultimately, when we denigrate others we denigrate ourselves. We may find slander perversely attractive for purely selfish purposes. In the end, it has more power to harm us than the person (or company) we use it against. I love ancient proverbs. One proverb says, "When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise."

It is important to understand that whatever we say is a reflection of us as people. A wise Jewish Rabbi once said, "Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks". In other words, "Negative people speak negative words. Positive people speak positive words."

AND, to conclude, I have learned that if you can't think of something positive to say, SAY NOTHING! Another ancient proverb says, "Evan a fool is considered wise, if he keeps his mouth shut!" I love that proverb!

We aren't the only good eavestrough company in southern Ontario, but if you would like a fair, honest quote from us, go to our web site at www.theeavestroughcompany.com or phone us at 905-966-2564.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments or opinions on my blog writings. Please comment. :)